Monday, March 4, 2013

TRIPLE HITTER

On a misty, chilled-to the bone late morning ten days ago I left Atlanta after an inspiring week of art instruction with two talented artists. My spirits were a bit numb on this day. Gray skies and squeaky windshield wipers can do that. A triplet of days on the road lay before me, though the planned distance was not so impressive. This, of course made for an opportunity to dilly-dally a bit in the backroad communities I cruised through. Normally I would be pumped up, ready to roll, grin on my face. Not so on this day. Not all days in our life are stellar - though all are informational, to be sure. Lumbering spirits aside, I rolled out of town on the Interstate - big mistake! Must have been an accident ahead, as the line-up of creeping cars I encountered about 10 minutes into my journey was daunting. It was not soon enough that I reached the exit to my hill and vale road of intention. "Ahhh, now this is better," said I, as the cows in the field, abandoned tractors and broken down barns of rural northern Georgia greeted me. My destination was Greenville, South Carolina. That would be 'Green-vul', as pronounced in this neck of the woods. My Atlanta artist friends had informed me of a wonderful public gallery in Greenville with the largest collection of Andrew Wyeth paintings in the U.S. I intended a thorough perusal of this fine art venue.

I settled in to my 'eyes wide open' mode of checking out the landscape as I rolled off the miles. Most are 'in the know' about the Bible Belt. I would say its colors showed well in the naming of roads - way back when. Gum Springs Church Rd - Ebenezer Church Rd - Galilee Church Rd - just a few of the identifiers that brought the corners of my mouth upward. It was soon apparent that Spring had 'sprung' in these parts. The new lime grass that edged last seasons bronzed sienna prairie grasses drew a strong color line in the earth - so vibrant and exciting! Giant pampas grasses were clumped in plentiful spots on the edges of many a farmyard, where algae covered tree trunks were telltale signs of the abundance of moisture through the seasons. Creeping purple phlox and daffodils were beginning their bloom, as I rolled in and out of the small towns of northern Georgia and then 'upstate' South Carolina. The small pink house with the hot pink front door on the outskirts of Winder (that is 'wine'-der) brought forth a chuckle, as did the the Picky Peddler Country Store and the Red Barn Mattress Store. It was Arbor Day weekend in Jefferson, Georgia as identified by the town banners, but not by the any bustling downtown crowd. Wipedia tells me that Dr. Crawford Long put this fine city 'on the map' in 1842 when he first used ether anesthesia for surgery. Holy Ground Baptist church with it's 2 foot white cross over the front door of the miniature white clapboard building stood as a pious bookend to this picturesque southern town as I moved on to the next village over yonder. I was surprised by the frequency of small cluster forests of bamboo, here and there in the countryside. The pines were easily identifiable, though a variety different than those found in Minnesota. My curiousity with regional flora and fauna demands a further online search on occasion. Today's tea-break investigation tells me that camellias, hostas, hydrangea, hollies and magnolias are prevalent in these southern states. I suspect I would see these in bloom if I hang around this area for another month or two.

The Greenville County Museum of Art was a two-hour pleasure-part on the 2nd day of my triple-hitter. A great diversion to the again-rainy day that greeted my morning. As public galleries go, this was small in size, but the central winding staircase architecture was a beauty to behold. I knew little of Andrew Wyeth, an artist born in Pennsylvania. His artist-father mentored him in his early years, and subsequently Andrew's son, Jamie, also followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. Andrew's realistic art work, finely textured in neutral tones drew me in. Becoming easily contemplative as I studied each painting I wondered about the stories of his 'subjects' and the gentle landscape settings he painted. If you are a 'Gallery Guru', add this gem to your list of 'must visit's!

My afternoon journey west into the Cherokee Forest region did not disappoint. After an brief attempt at a northward route into the Nantahala Mtns of North Carolina, I made a quick turn-around when I met a brick wall of dense fog on the small winding highway I'd planned for my afternoon journey. Lower elevations were the better choice on this day. Floating past the 'Three and Twenty Independent Baptist Church' and the Ugly Mug Cafe, (seriously folks, I'm not making this up!!), I cruised into a region of northern Georgia near the North Carolina and Tennesee border that is known for its resorts and water recreation areas. Passing through the tiny college town of Young Harris, I made a mental note to return someday for further exploring - so quaint. The small Methodist College here obviously has added pizzazz to this community through the years - it's been around since the late 1800's!

Grateful for the new route with no fog, I leisurely made my way along the river-bottom road with the rushing whitewater stream providing bend after bend of nostalgic views to tuck in my memory. It was dusk before long and the occasional view of the pink-tinged sky turning to azure violet seen through the blackening mountain peaks teased my photo-op senses on more than one occasion. Roadside parking being the problem at hand, I resorted to a few quick snapshots through the front windshield with my cell phone. Hardly quality enough, but a record of the moment. I arrived in eastern Chattenooga, Tennesee after nightfall. My traveling favored-hangout, Applebees' provided some 'hoop action' on the bar TV as I savored my evening meal. Such a pleasant day, in spite of the 'drippies'.

Sunday morning sensibilities - tea at Starbucks - a bit of local newspaper reading, gmail updates, facebook fancies and 'reading' the faces of the locals as they saunter in for their morning caffeine fix. This was the preface to my short trip up the freeway to attend worship in a Knoxville church. On this day, the Presbyterians were my pew-mates - albeit with the 'Bible Belt Banter' of rather boistrous preaching, above average decibel levels and uninhibited arm exercises. I have learned that no matter the denomination listed on the church sign, one can never predict the 'flavor' of the emotional tone of a church service. Different strokes for different folks. All good, but more meaningful when the suit fits well to the shape of my personal preferences. Same God, different clothes. Isn't it good we have so many choices in this day and age!

Arriving early afternoon at the family home of another dear nephew I will stay with for a few weeks, I flash through the prior triple hitter days on the road, and the triple hitter states passed through - Georgia, North Carolina and Tennesee. Though this journey was mostly atmospheric-gray, still my exploring delighted. The Pearly Gates Cafe and Frank's Furniture and Variety Store, a couple down-home establishments I passed on my journey-way, stand in contrast to the rather 'high-falutin' Lake Benton Resort Club of northern Georgia. Feeling a deeper security these days in the 'who of me', I've discovered a shifting focus to the outer world. The diversity of peoples of different regions of the country feeds my fascination.

Soft jazz fills the room I sit in just now. The sun is shining. My half-finished canvas and brushes in my makeshift studio await me. I have found an 'art zone' for this rather large work in progress. Let's see what clever creativity I can add to it on this day!

Intothewind-naturegirl

No comments:

Post a Comment