Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Shortened versions of daily travel is a welcome change of pace, here in California, as the next month will involve time nourishing my grandgirlie delights and trips to the beach. The past weekend initiated this treasure trove as we explored Crystal Cove State Park in Laguna Beach. The view of the ocean - spectacular, the 'kingdom' play space for the girls - stellar! The campsite, cordoned off with a single theatre-style rope, defined quite a large play space full of sage bushes, natural desert flowers, little rises and falls in the terrain and enough rocks, shells, sand, and sticks to suffice for female warrior playtime. Such humor, such delight. Memories at the beach will fill my cup for years to come! Time to watch the surf and allow for soul-search mode to fill me comes in snippets.

Today's contemplation queries: "What to do with the voices of your past that brew messages of negativism?" Birth into this world does not guarantee us Class A parenting, and for that matter, I question if there really is a Class A parent in this world! That said, there are, however, vast differences in styles of 'raising the kids' and what one kid needs, another kid doesn't. The complexities of motherhood/fatherhood are mind-bloggling. I have often reflected on my days of raising my 2 children, and wondered 'what class did I fit in'? God speaks peace to me in knowing I did the best I was able - and no more is required. I love the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child", and there is comfort in knowing God's messengers are placed in peoples lives as 'adjunct parents'; in God's wisdom He provides!

As one ages, there are a myriad of experiences that affect us, sometimes profoundly, other times as a tiny seed that sits dormant for years, though remains present for the proper time of nourishment and growth into new uinimagined wellness.

One voice from my childhood screamed degradation of the word, "ritual". Corporate liturgies in the spiritual realm were mocked as seldom being authentic. Why has this been a thorn in my consciousness for years? I have my ideas!

Acceptance quotient - the need to please - conversely, thirst for understanding and knowledge - yearning for soul renewal: these are all factors, I believe, in one's ability to defy conventionality and experience new vitality which comes with change and openness to life's new possibilities. Believing that God understands each person's motivations and longings, I arrived at an inner peace in rejecting my learned opinion of "ritual". I have rewritten that word in my life in recent months. This pilgrimage I find myself on as my "Art and Soul Journey" across the U.S. has embraced fully some new rituals. I have blogged previously about 'casting 3 seeds to the wind' as I begin each day's travel. Let me explain how this brings meaning and purpose to my days.

As I prepared for my journey, I recognized the risks of travel as well as the great exhuberance of seeing new sites on a day's travel. Desiring a way to increase my awareness of my dependence on God for protection, I created a daily 'space' for committing my day to God. I carry in my RV, a bag of wheat grass seeds. Wheat grass is FULL of potential. It has more nutrients, when sprouted and grown, than most any 'green-thing' in this world - the perfect image of what I want each day in my life to be! As I understand the Spirit to be manifest in the image of 'wind', I created both my 'moniker' (Intothewind) and my ritual to incorporate these elements. With a prayer for safety, soul renewal, and new learning opportunities, each morning I gather 3 seeds of wheatgrass from my bag, find a special spot to commit my day to God and throw the seeds to the wind. My new ritual has overwritten the negativism of yesteryear and brings me joy and anticipation.

Solitude, travel, and reading are all avenues of renewal that I find lift me higher in life's daily journey. One need not go long distances for this (though I highly recommend the experience!), and I would wish for you, this day, a new mindfulness of openness to rituals, when experienced with purpose and meaning, to bring vitality to your life.

Into The Wind - Nature Girl

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment